Connect with us


English police, Hungary fans clash at England’s World Cup Qualifying game



English police, Hungary fans clash at England’s World Cup Qualifying game

photo credit:

England’s 1-1 draw against Hungary at Wembley Stadium in World Cup qualifying was disrupted by Hungarian supporters clashing with security staff and baton-wielding police inside Wembley on Tuesday evening.

In the time leading up to kick off, tension started to rise as some Hungary fans booed England players taking the knee in their fight against racism. Not long after was a banner unveiled by Hungary fans of a kneeling figure being crossed out.

In the stadium was about 1000 Hungary fans, 5 minutes into the game a section of them erupted into a brawl with the Wembley police who were prompted to use their batons.

Supporters were seen throwing punches at police before back up came up through one of the tunnels onto the main concourse.

The encounter only lasted a minute or so, Wembley’s police were well armed. Riot police were wearing body armour and visors. As the violence came to a halt the Police made a return from the away-end.

London’s Metropolitan Police said they had taken action after it was reported a steward was racially abused.

London’s Metropolitan Police statement reads: “Shortly after the start of tonight’s match at Wembley, officers entered the stand to arrest a spectator for a racially aggravated public order offence following comments made towards a steward.

“As the officers made the arrest, minor disorder broke out involving other spectators. Order was quickly restored and there have been no further incidents at this stage.”

It was impossible to get away from the terrible scenes inside the area that housed the Hungary fans, with the abiding image being that of a Metropolitan police officer repeatedly striking one of them with a baton and getting quite a few punches back.


Hungary fans showing banner against support for the anti-racism stand of taking the knee

The Hungarian fans released a green flare into the stadium following Roland Sallai’s 24th minute penalty opener.

England’s Football Association released in a statement: “We are aware of an incident in the away section during tonight’s FIFA 2022 World Cup Qualifier at Wembley Stadium. We will be investigating and will report the incident to FIFA.”

Hungary’s lead didn’t last long as John Stones scored for the home team after Tyrone Mings flicked on Phil Fodens set-piece.

There were no other incidents throughout the rest of the match.

Following the match Hungary manager Marco Rossi commented: “I don’t want to comment on this situation,” he said. “It is not my task. Everything I could say could be interpreted in a different way.”

The events of the game will likely lead to increased pressure of the Hungarian FA following September’s game between the two sides in Budapest.

In the match, England players were on the receiving end of abuse, objects being thrown and racist abuse too.


Jack Grealish pictured drinking from cup thrown by Hungary fans in previous game (twitter:@JackGrealish)

Hungary were also handed a 3 game stadium ban and £100,000 for discriminatory behaviour in the Puskas arena during Euro 2020.

Goalscorer John Stones said he was not aware of the incidents during the game but commented: “If they were showing those sort of signs to what we believe in as a team, as a nation, I haven’t got anything good to say about them as supporters, them as human beings.”

“We stand strong together as a team.”

England next play on November 12th against Albania in a World Cup Qualifier.

Did you watch the game? Let us know your thoughts on social media below…

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Deborah James Awarded Damehood After Raising Over £3,000,000 for Charity



Deborah James has said she is ‘blown away’ after being made a Dame for her tireless campaigning for cancer charities.

The inspirational broadcaster and author announced earlier this week that she is receiving hospice care at home after stopping her cancer treatment, and has said she ‘could have weeks to live at most’.

In recent days, the You, Me & The Big C host has raised over £3million for charities that have helped her over the past five years, through her Bowelbabe Fund.

After calls for her to receive the Royal honour, it has been revealed that Deborah is now officially Dame Deborah James.

‘I don’t know what to say. I’m blown away and feel incredibly honoured,’ she said reacting to the news.

She added ‘I don’t feel like I deserve this. I can’t tell you what this means to my family, it’s so much to take in.’

Her husband Sebastien Bowen, said the public support of the fundraiser has ‘brought a piercing ray of light and hope into this, the darkest of times’, adding that the Damehood is ‘so truly deserved’.

Downing Street said the Queen was ‘pleased to approve the honour of damehood’ be bestowed upon Deborah James.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson hailed Dame Deborah as an figure of inspiration to the country.

‘If ever an honour was richly deserved, this is it,’ the leader said.

‘Deborah has been an inspiration and her honesty, warmth and courage has been a source of strength to so many people.’

Thank you for all your incredible work.

Continue Reading


EuroMillions: UK ticket holder claims £184m jackpot



One lucky ticket-holder’s life has changed forever after winning the £184million EuroMillions jackpot. It means they have become the biggest ever National Lottery winner, operator Camelot has said.

Whoever they are, they have knocked the anonymous winner of £170million in October 2019 off the top spot. They have also become the National Lottery’s 14th winner of more than £100million.

The winner, who is yet to be named, is also the second person in the UK to win the EuroMillions jackpot this year, after someone bagged £109million in February.

The winning numbers were 3, 25, 27, 28 and 29 – plus the Lucky Star numbers 4 and 9. One ticket matched all seven numbers to win £184,262,899.10.

Senior winners’ adviser for the National Lottery, Andy Carter said: “What an amazing night for one UK ticket-holder who has scooped the incredible £184million EuroMillions jackpot – they have become the UK’s biggest ever National Lottery winner.”

The claim will now go through a validation process to ensure terms and conditions are met and once the ticket has been validated the winner can choose whether or not to remain anonymous.

What would you do with all that money?

Continue Reading


Baby P’s Killer Mum Tracey Connelly Set for Prison Release after Judge Gives Green Light



Tracey Connelly, the mother of Baby P, who died after months of abuse, will be released from prison after the Parole Board rejected a Government challenge against its ruling.

The decision comes after Justice Secretary Dominic Raab appealed against the recommendation to free Tracey Connelly from prison.

Connelly was jailed at the Old Bailey in 2009 for causing or allowing the death of her 17-month-old son Peter at their home in Tottenham, north London, on August 3 2007.

Dominic Raab said the decision demonstrated why the system “needs a fundamental overhaul – including a ministerial check for the most serious offenders”.

Now 40, this was Connelly’s fourth parole review after she was released on licence in 2013 but recalled to prison in 2015 for breaching her parole conditions by “developing intimate personal relationships” online and inciting another resident at her accommodation to engage in “inappropriate sexualised behaviour”.

In a statement, the Parole Board said: “In summary, the judge has concluded that the panel did take into consideration all evidence mentioned by the application and made rational conclusions.

“The reconsideration decision clarifies that the weight given to the evidence given by the Secretary of States witnesses, who supported release, and the proposed external controls, was proportionate and the reasons were clearly outlined in the decision letter.

“The final ground on the rationality of the outcome was also rejected on the grounds of not reaching the threshold, as defined by law, for becoming unreasonable.”

The Parole Board, which is independent of government, received a formal request to review the decision to free Connelly last week.

Continue Reading