Connect with us

News

Repeated calls for Boris Johnson to resign

Published

on

Boris Johnson has been facing serious backlash in Commons today following the outrage at the Downing Street party.

An intense Prime Minister Questions saw numerous MPs from his own party and the opposition demand his resignation.

Former cabinet minister David Davis is among those to back calls for the prime minister’s resignation: “You have sat there for too long, for all the good you have done. In the name of God, go.”

Just moments before PMQs began, Johnson suffered a Tory defection to Labour.

Red Wall MP Christian Wakeford stated in a letter addressing the Prime Minister that he “cares passionately” about the people in his constituency, and the Conservative government “are only making the struggles they face on a daily basis worse.”

He added, “You and the Conservative Party as a whole have shown themselves incapable of offering the leadership and government this country deserves.”

Labour leader Keir Starmer welcomed Wakeford to his party, announcing “he has always put the people of Bury South first.”

After the dramatic defection, Johnson endured repeated demands for his resignation.

It began immediately with Wendy Chamberlain asking, “Does the prime minister agree that it’s now time for him to resign?”

The PMQs began especially noisy, with Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle threatening to remove those who continue to be.

Both Starmer and SNP’s leader, Ian Blackford, focused their questioning on Johnson’s reported rule breaking.

Johnson’s explanation that he believed the Downing Street party was a work event was described as “ridiculous” and “pathetic.”

The PMQs were followed by the Prime Minister’s confirmation that Covid Plan B would end.

Find out more here about the easing of the Plan B restrictions.

Since his announcement, Johnson has faced further criticism that his actions are to save his premiership, as the current Covid rates are higher than when Plan B was initially enforced.

This new wave of backlash comes in addition to what has been nicknamed the ‘Pork Pie’ plot.

The plot refers to an apparent meeting which took place on Tuesday between MPs who discussed submitting letters of no confidence.

At current, about 20 MPs have taken this action against their party leader.

This includes the leader of the Scottish Conservatives, Douglas Ross, and the chair of the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee, William Wragg.

The majority of those who have sent letters are remaining anonymous.

A leadership contest will take place if 54 MPs write letters of no confidence to the Chairman of the 1922 Committee, Sir Graham Brady.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Entertainment

Deborah James Awarded Damehood After Raising Over £3,000,000 for Charity

Published

on

Deborah James has said she is ‘blown away’ after being made a Dame for her tireless campaigning for cancer charities.

The inspirational broadcaster and author announced earlier this week that she is receiving hospice care at home after stopping her cancer treatment, and has said she ‘could have weeks to live at most’.

In recent days, the You, Me & The Big C host has raised over £3million for charities that have helped her over the past five years, through her Bowelbabe Fund.

After calls for her to receive the Royal honour, it has been revealed that Deborah is now officially Dame Deborah James.

‘I don’t know what to say. I’m blown away and feel incredibly honoured,’ she said reacting to the news.

She added ‘I don’t feel like I deserve this. I can’t tell you what this means to my family, it’s so much to take in.’

Her husband Sebastien Bowen, said the public support of the fundraiser has ‘brought a piercing ray of light and hope into this, the darkest of times’, adding that the Damehood is ‘so truly deserved’.

Downing Street said the Queen was ‘pleased to approve the honour of damehood’ be bestowed upon Deborah James.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson hailed Dame Deborah as an figure of inspiration to the country.

‘If ever an honour was richly deserved, this is it,’ the leader said.

‘Deborah has been an inspiration and her honesty, warmth and courage has been a source of strength to so many people.’

Thank you for all your incredible work.

Continue Reading

featured

EuroMillions: UK ticket holder claims £184m jackpot

Published

on

One lucky ticket-holder’s life has changed forever after winning the £184million EuroMillions jackpot. It means they have become the biggest ever National Lottery winner, operator Camelot has said.

Whoever they are, they have knocked the anonymous winner of £170million in October 2019 off the top spot. They have also become the National Lottery’s 14th winner of more than £100million.

The winner, who is yet to be named, is also the second person in the UK to win the EuroMillions jackpot this year, after someone bagged £109million in February.

The winning numbers were 3, 25, 27, 28 and 29 – plus the Lucky Star numbers 4 and 9. One ticket matched all seven numbers to win £184,262,899.10.

Senior winners’ adviser for the National Lottery, Andy Carter said: “What an amazing night for one UK ticket-holder who has scooped the incredible £184million EuroMillions jackpot – they have become the UK’s biggest ever National Lottery winner.”

The claim will now go through a validation process to ensure terms and conditions are met and once the ticket has been validated the winner can choose whether or not to remain anonymous.

What would you do with all that money?

Continue Reading

featured

Baby P’s Killer Mum Tracey Connelly Set for Prison Release after Judge Gives Green Light

Published

on

Tracey Connelly, the mother of Baby P, who died after months of abuse, will be released from prison after the Parole Board rejected a Government challenge against its ruling.

The decision comes after Justice Secretary Dominic Raab appealed against the recommendation to free Tracey Connelly from prison.

Connelly was jailed at the Old Bailey in 2009 for causing or allowing the death of her 17-month-old son Peter at their home in Tottenham, north London, on August 3 2007.

Dominic Raab said the decision demonstrated why the system “needs a fundamental overhaul – including a ministerial check for the most serious offenders”.

Now 40, this was Connelly’s fourth parole review after she was released on licence in 2013 but recalled to prison in 2015 for breaching her parole conditions by “developing intimate personal relationships” online and inciting another resident at her accommodation to engage in “inappropriate sexualised behaviour”.

In a statement, the Parole Board said: “In summary, the judge has concluded that the panel did take into consideration all evidence mentioned by the application and made rational conclusions.

“The reconsideration decision clarifies that the weight given to the evidence given by the Secretary of States witnesses, who supported release, and the proposed external controls, was proportionate and the reasons were clearly outlined in the decision letter.

“The final ground on the rationality of the outcome was also rejected on the grounds of not reaching the threshold, as defined by law, for becoming unreasonable.”

The Parole Board, which is independent of government, received a formal request to review the decision to free Connelly last week.

Continue Reading

Trending