Connect with us

featured

Second Russian general killed, Ukraine defence ministry claims

Published

on

Major General Vitaly Gerasimov (Credit: Wikipedia)

Ukrainian intelligence has claimed that a second Russian general has been killed around Kharkiv.

In a statement, the chief directorate of intelligence of Ukraine’s defence ministry said the chief of staff of Russia’s 41st army, Major General Vitaly Gerasimov, was killed.

His death is yet to be confirmed. If it is, Gerasimov would be the second Russian general from the 41st army to die.

Major General Andrei Sukhovetsky was killed at the start of the month, Russian media confirmed.

In an address on Monday evening, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky revealed his location.

Uploading a video of himself sat in his presidential office, he said: “You know we used to say, Monday is a hard. There is war in the country. Now every day is Monday.

“Now I will say one thing: I will stay here. I will stay in Kyiv. On Bankova Street. I’m not hiding and I’m not afraid of anyone. As much as it takes to win, this patriotic war of ours.”

A humanitarian corridor has opened up from Sumy, with the Ukrainian government saying the first stage of evacuation has begun.

Evacuation attempts in Mariupol were halted for two consecutive days due to unsafe conditions.

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, has said that over two million refugees have now fled the country.

Boris Johnson said at a press conference on Monday that there are thousands of Ukrainian visa applications being processed.

It follows criticism about the pace at which refugees are being allowed into the country.

The Home Office revealed on Monday that there had been nearly 9,000 applications submitted to the government’s Ukraine Family Scheme since 4 March. 300 of these have had visas issued.

The government is standing firm on their decision to keep checks in place for those arriving in the country.

On Monday, the prime minister said the UK are “absolutely determined to be as generous” as possible.

 

 

Follow our social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UnitedKingdomNewsToday

Twitter: https://twitter.com/GB__Today

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gb___today/

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

featured

Ex F1 chief executive would “take a bullet” for “friend” Vladimir Putin

Published

on

Bernie Ecclestone Putin

Formula 1 have issued a statement following comments by their former chief executive, Bernie Ecclestone, in an interview with Good Morning Britain on Thursday morning, in which he praised “sensible” Vladimir Putin who he would “still take a bullet for”.

 

The 91-year-old businessman said that “unfortunately he’s like a lot of business people, certainly like me, that we make mistakes from time to time and when you make the mistake, you have to do the best you can to get out of it.”

 

These comments come amidst the full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine following President Putin’s authorisation of a “special military operation” in the east, after intense diplomacy and the imposition of Western sanctions on Russia failed to deter him.

 

Ecclestone simultaneously criticised the Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelenskyy for not making a “big enough effort to speak to Putin”, whom he described as a “sensible person” who “would have listened to him and could have probably done something about it.”

 

He went on to confirm that he believed that if Zelenskyy had done more to avert war, as opposed to any change in Putin’s actions, the conflict that has taken the lives of thousands of innocent Ukrainian people could have been averted. “I’m quite sure Ukraine, if they’d wanted to get out of it properly, could have done.”

 

A Formula One spokesman has said: “The comments made by Bernie Ecclestone are his personal views and are in very stark contrast to the position of the modern values of our sport.”

 

What are your thoughts – Join us on Facebook to join in the conversation..

 

Continue Reading

featured

British Airways staff to strike over summer holidays

Published

on

A total of 700 British Airways workers at Heathrow Airport have voted in favour of and are set to go on a strike during the summer holidays in a dispute over pay, where demand is at its highest.

 

Unite and GMB union members have backed industrial action due to a 10% pay cut which was imposed at the peak of the pandemic, and is not to be reinstated. 94.7% of Unite members and 95% of GMB members voted in favour of the walkouts.

 

It is understood that these proposed strikes will only be undertaken by fewer than 50% of British Airways staff at Heathrow Airport. Nevertheless, if these strikes go ahead, there will no doubt be disruption for passengers and possible cancellations of flights.

 

Some members of BA staff, such as ground operations and engineers, have had their pay cuts reversed, however the GMB claim that check-in staff “have had nothing”. Unite have called this an insult. BA have issued a statement claiming that they are “extremely disappointed” with the decision made and are committed to finding a solution with the unions.

 

The exact strike dates are to be confirmed in the next few days.

 

What are your thoughts on the strikes, join us on Facebook to join the conversation…

 

Follow us at @GBToday for updates.

Continue Reading

featured

Biggest Rail Strikes in 30 years to go ahead as talks fail

Published

on

Britain is braced for the biggest rail strikes in 30 years after last-ditch talks failed to resolve a row over pay and conditions.

Thousands of staff affiliated to the Rail, Maritime and Transport union at Network Rail and 13 other train operators will walk out tomorrow, Thursday and Saturday.

The RMT says plans by Network Rail – the body which owns stations, track and signals – to cut 2,500 jobs, will put safety at risk. But the industry says it has to modernise and safety will not be compromised.

The Rail Delivery Group – which represents train firms – says the Covid pandemic has led to a decline in passenger numbers and while it wants to offer a pay rise to staff, the way the network operates has to change. But the RMT says it is prepared to take industrial action “for as long as it takes to get a settlement” and warned strikes could take place for the next six months.

It says train operators have now made an offer, but there is no further offer from Network Rail, after one was rejected last Friday. General secretary Mick Lynch said: “The RMT National Executive Committee has now found both sets of proposals to be unacceptable and it is now confirmed that the strike action scheduled this week will go ahead.”

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps, whose department oversees the operation of the network, described calls by the RMT for ministers to intervene as a “stunt” and accused the union of “gunning” for industrial action. He said the strike was orchestrated by “union barons” and will cause misery and chaos to millions of commuters.

Services have begun to be affected this evening, and are likely to be disrupted throughout this week as the impact of the staggered stops cause an impact even on non-strike days.  Talks had continued this afternoon, but the two sides could not reach a deal.

Sources close to the negotiations said Network Rail was prepared to offer striking unions a five per cent pay rise to settle the dispute.

Use this tool to see if trains will run from your station.

Continue Reading

Trending