Connect with us

Sports

The Newcastle United Dilemma: Style of play, manager, Almiron and more

Published

on

NUFC Manger Search Takeover
Newcastle united Manager Options after the Toon Takeover

In what has been a whirlwind two weeks for Newcastle United, the reality that the club could be in serious trouble this term is settling in amongst supporters.

 

Two weeks ago, it was announced that the long awaited take over from the Saudi led consortium led by Amanda Staveley had been completed which sent shockwaves through the city. Supporters gathered outside of St James Park as soon as the news broke.

 

Newcastle supporters outside St. James Park celebrating the takeover (picture: Jonny Maddison)

 

The celebrations only increased as supporters were chanting about their beloved club and the exciting times ahead, as well as making their voices known about the previous regime who were in control.

 

As the takeover took place during an international break, the new owners have had a bit longer to settle in.

 

The first talking point would be the change in management. After Newcastle’s 3-2 home defeat to Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, the magpies have only won 7 out of 38 games. Form that should have any manager at any level worried about the position they find their club in.

 

The focus point leading up to the Spurs game was whether or not Steve Bruce would be in charge for the new owners first game, a game which would also be Bruce’s 1000th as a manager.

 

It wasn’t until the friday when Amanda Stavley openly communicated with the fans by releasing a statement regarding the clubs intentions heading into the fixture, she said: “We have had an extremely busy week reviewing the business and getting to know people and it is imperative that we continue to be patient and considered in our approach. Change does not always happen overnight, it demands time and that we follow a carefully considered plan and strategy.

 

“Steve has been very professional in our dealings with him and he and his coaching team will take the team on Sunday. If we make any changes going forward, Steve will be the first to know but, in the meantime, we wish him the best of luck in his 1,000th match as a manager and will be joining you in getting right behind the team.”

 

Not the most popular decision with supporters however the trust is there with the new owners, only a few weeks prior 94% of the Newcastle supporters trust called for Bruce to be relieved of his duties.

 

On game day, emotions were running high with excitement, passion and hope amongst Newcastle fans as they welcomed the new regime into their stadium to support the team.

 

https://twitter.com/footballdaily/status/1449759019166543875?s=20 (Newcastle fans echo the words of Jimmy Nial courtesy of WorFlags).

 

With Amanda Staveley and new club chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan present, the noise was deafening even for those at home.

 

Ex-Newcastle player, Kieron Dyer who was doing punditry duties for Sky Sports said:”I’ve been to a lot of games, I was at Wembley for the Euro final, this atmosphere beats that”.

Everything started well for Bruce’s 1000th game, Newcastle played on the front foot, winning every ball and in the first 2 minutes Callum Wilson scored the first goal of ‘the new era’.

 

From there, the reality of what Newcastle fans have become accustomed to settled back in.

 

Not long after the opening goal, Tanguy N’dombele fired a shot into the top right corner past Karl Darlow. Not long after, Harry Kane popped up to break his goal scoring drought after he chipped Darlow.

 

The atmosphere started to sour as Newcastle looked lost with an uneven back four and a midfield which didn’t know whether to attack or hold the line.

 

An off the pitch incident occurred in the 40th minute as a fan took ill in the east stand. Immediately recognising the fan was not in a good way, Spurs left back Sergio Regulion intervened and called for the match to stop as the supporter had taken ill.

 

Two fans in attendance, A&E Doctor Tom Pritchard and Ruth McDonald helped stabilize the fan as a defibrillator was brought into the stands to assist with the CPR.

 

Facebook (Doctor Tom Pritchard applauded as he returns to his seat)

 

The fan is reported to be in a stable condition.

 

The game was suspended for 24 minutes before both teams came out to play the final 7 minutes of the half, in which time Son Heung-min scored Tottenham’s 3rd goal on the brink of half time.

 

Newcastle for the rest of the game were lacklustre, lacked structure and their consultation goal came as a result of an Eric Dier own goal.

 

Towards the end of the game, the supporters made their feelings clear regarding the managerial status of the club and that Steve Bruce is not the man the supporters want.

 

Newcastle United this season have now conceded 19 goals this season, with no clean sheets.

 

Fans are wanting a more enjoyable style of football but at what risk? The club finds itself in an unfavourable position where they are able to score goals but cannot defend.

 

The defence is the same defence that came up from the Championship minus the addition of Federico Fernanandez in 2018. Typically, that team under Rafa Benitez played a back 5, and under Bruce’s most successful runs of form, also played that formation.

 

There needs to be more of a conservative approach until the club can invest in January as the balance is missing, the openness in the midfield is what gave Spurs the game on Sunday,

 

Going forward, it was once again given Allan Saint-Maximin the ball and hoped he could create chances. Something he can do but as the game goes on the chances become rarer.

 

Resorting to the 5 back with two holding midfielders would leave open a chance for Miguel Almiron to return to his favoured position in attacking midfield just behind Wilson and St. Maximum.

 

Miguel Almrion, is amongst a fan favourite at the club however under Bruce he has been in and out of the team. When in the team it is almost certain he plays a different position every game, these have ranged from right-wing, left-wing, central midfield and attacking midfield.

 

Carrying the ball forward as an attacking midfielder is his best game and Newcastle are now in a position where they have to play smart.

 

The return of Almiron may take the pressure off the midfield getting forward and will allow the team to sit with a defensive structure so they are harder to beat.

 

If you agree or disagree, let us know on our social media! Please share the post to help our page.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Sports

Meet the British Woman Hoping to End F1’s 46-year Wait For a Female Driver

Published

on

The modern sports industry remains a very male dominated field. Historically motorsport especially being one of the most inaccessible to women.

In its entire 72-year history, only two women have ever driven in a Formula 1 grand prix. The last was the pioneer Lella Lombardi, the Italian who competed in 12 races between 1974 and 1976 for teams including Williams.

Now, Britain’s Jamie Chadwick is aiming to end the 46-year wait for a woman to sit behind the wheel of a car on the starting grid at the very top level of racing.

The 23-year-old from Bath, is the most prominent woman in world the world of motorsport thanks to the strong results she has earned in the early stages of her career across multiple categories.

Chadwick is about to embark on her third season in W Series, an all-female racing championship launched in 2019 which aims to ensure more women are able to make professional careers out of motor racing.

The aim means that, in conjunction with the heated rivalry that understandably comes with battling for the championship on track, the athletes competing in W Series feel they share a common goal to help one another improve and make overall progress for women in motorsport too. Chadwick has won the title in both of W Series’ first two campaigns.

Speaking to Metro she said:  ‘Everyone expects us not to get on [because we are rivals] but we really, genuinely do. The big reason in my opinion is that we’ve all been through such a similar experience in the sport individually. We can share those experiences with each other and push each other to bring one another on, and hopefully leave the sport in a better place for the next generation coming through.’

Do you think she stands a chance of making it?

Continue Reading

featured

Newcastle co-owner says Chelsea’s Abramovich having to sell isn’t fair

Published

on

Credit: Chelsea FC Instagram

Newcastle co-owner Amanda Staveley “doesnt think its particularly fair” that Roman Abramovich is selling following the Russia-Ukraine war.

The businessman announced he had made the “incredibly difficult decision” in a statement on the Premier League club’s website.

There has been calls for Abramovich to be sanctioned, as Chris Bryant alleges leaked Home Office document from 2019 shows he had links to Russian state as well as to “corrupt activity and practices” – the Guardian reports.

Speaking at the Financial Times Business of Football Summit, Staveley said: “We’re always going to have geopolitical issues.

I’m really sad that someone is going to have a football club taken away because of a relationship he may have with someone.

“I don’t think that’s particularly fair to be honest. But I also think that we have to hold all of our relationships to account.”

In his statement, Abramovich said: “I have always taken decisions with the club’s best interest at heart.

“In the current situation, I have therefore taken the decision to sell the club, as I believe this is in the best interest of the club, the fans, the employees, as well as the club’s sponsors and partners.

“The sale of the club will not be fast-tracked but will follow due process.”

Abramovich has said that he won’t be asking for loans to be repaid.

He added: “I have instructed my team to set up a charitable foundation where all net proceeds from the sale will be donated. The foundation will be for the benefit of all victims of the war in Ukraine.”

The businessman bought Chelsea back in 2003 for £140m, and has since loaned the club over £1.5bn.

Swiss billionaire Hansjorg Wyss has told Swiss newspaper Blick that he has the chance to buy Chelsea.

However he says that at the moment Abramovich is “asking far too much.”

What are your thoughts?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UnitedKingdomNewsToday

Twitter: https://twitter.com/GB__Today

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gb___today/

Continue Reading

featured

Russia’s captain Aleksandr Golovin speaks out on Russian invasion

Published

on

Credit: Aleksandr Golovin Instagram

Russia’s football captain Aleksandr Golovin has spoke out about the Russia-Ukraine war.

In a post uploaded to Instagram on Wednesday, the footballer said he hadn’t before now because he wasn’t an expert in politics.

However, he said he would now express his opinion, because he has been drawn to this topic from “all sides.”

It follows furious backlash from Ukrainian players Vitalii Mykolenko and Andriy Yarmolenko about Russian players staying quiet about the invasion of Ukraine.

The captain wrote: “War is a frightful thing. But I am shocked by human aggression and hatred, which every day acquires some sort of unprecedented scale.

“I am against discrimination based on nationality. I’m not ashamed that I’m Russian. I am proud to be Russian. And I don’t understand why athletes should suffer now.”

He continued he was “against double standards.”

Golovin added: “Why is it that one can do everything, but all the dogs are hanged on us. Why has everyone always shouted about sports outside of politics, but at the first opportunity, when it comes to Russia, this principle is completely forgotten?”

He expressed that “anger, dirt and bile” is being poured on Russian people, “regardless of their position and profession.”

The Zenit St Petersburg forward concluded: “P.S. And to some colleagues in the workshop who sit on their ass in mansions in England and say nasty things: it cannot offend us, we understand everything! Peace and goodness to everybody!”

On Tuesday in an Instagram post, Everton’s Mykolenko criticised Russia’s international players for remaining silent whilst “peaceful civilians are being killed in Ukraine.”

The 22-year-old wrote: “You will be locked in your dungeon for the rest of your life and most importantly the lives of your kids. And I’m glad.”

West Ham’s Yarmolenko also hit out at Russian players on Tuesday.

In a video uploaded to Instagram, he said: “Guys, why are you sitting like shitheads and not saying anything? In my country they’re killing people, killing wives, killing our children. But you’re saying nothing, you’ve given no comments.”

Russia has been suspended from all competition, Fifa and Uefa have ruled.

 

 

Follow our social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UnitedKingdomNewsToday

Twitter: https://twitter.com/GB__Today

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gb___today/

Continue Reading

Trending